Ronald Clay Bowen, age 45, passed away unexpectedly at his Refugio County family ranch on Saturday, January 26, 2008. He was born September 9, 1962 in Falfurrias, Texas to Robert L. Bowen and Bonnie Giles Bowen who have preceded him in death. He is survived by his loving wife of 16 years, Janice (Dunn) Bowen and son, Preston, of Kerrville. He is also survived by his "udder mudder" Jennifer Bowen-Bates of Corpus Christi, sister Bobbye (Charles) Patton of San Antonio, brother Robert (Rhonda) Bowen Jr.of Harlingen, and sister Lisa (Tom) White of Fairhope, Alabama. Ron was, also, loved by his in-laws Nelda and Kenneth Dunn of Riviera, brothers-in-law James (Delia ) of Portland, Kenny Dunn of Kerrville, and Alan Dunn of Riviera. In addition Uncle Ronnie showered affection upon his nieces and nephews Bo and Bonni, Zachary and Catherine, Kathryn and Caroline, and James Lee and Heather. Additionally, there are numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, extended family members, and many, many close friends. He was well known from the Texas valley to the hill country.
Things came easy to Ron. Tennis and basketball were sports he played and excelled in while attending Premont High School. He placed in tennis at the State competition in 1979 and 1980. Trinity University offered him a tennis scholarship, but he chose instead to attend Southwest Texas State University (Texas State University) where he majored in business. After leaving college he worked in his family's business in Premont at Bowen Enterprises. While living in Premont he married his best friend and the love of his life, Janice Dunn, from Riviera. Soon thereafter, they moved to Kerrville. Following his father's footsteps, Ron, along with his wife Janice, started their own Church's Chicken business which has thrived since 1993.
Ron had a great love for music. Dancing, cruising on a Harley, "toobin" on the Frio river, traveling, fishing and hunting, were all things he loved doing with his family. He was the family "social director." At the Garner State Park dances he was always the helpful uncle who sought out eligible dance partners for his nieces and nephews. The family ranch was a source of adventure, too. From learning to cook beans in an iron kettle over a camp fire to teaching the next generation proper hunting technique, he took on each task with enthusiasm and a motive to find a shortcut when possible. Coming together at mealtime was a favorite activity with family, as well. During meals it wasn't uncommon for him to reach over with his own fork and have a bite of your dinner, also. He was "sharing." He wasn't willing to share his favorite lemon meringue pie made by his mother-in-law, Nelda Dunn. Ron was a loving son, brother, husband, the best dad ever, a friend to many, and a gentleman to all.
Ron gave of his time, his means and, most of all, himself. Through his generous spirit, his charm, his sincerity, and his kind nature he made true friends. He was a member of St. Peter's Episcopal Church. God had truly blessed him with abundance, and he believed in sharing his good fortune to bless others. He, especially, enjoyed helping children, since in his heart he was still a big kid himself. Joy and light-heartedness were with him wherever he went, and he spread them around in great quantity. To say he was loved and will be missed by many is an understatement. In his short life, he lived fully and with gusto.
Ron always did whatever he wanted to do, and he always did the right thing.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Biography
Posted at 9:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
35 comments:
Too many great memories! It was an honor to know him. May God Bless!
The kind of man you would want for a son!
We are so very sorry for your loss.
Deloris and Don Brock
We will all miss Ronnie so much at the Little League fields, the gym, YMCA basketball games. Being a parent in Kerrville, you tend to cross paths and Ronnie always seemed to have a smile on his face. He was very much a gentleman and we are grateful for having gotten to know him over the past few years. He was also a joker and sure to make you laugh. Ronnie, you will be missed!
Thom & Maggy Oppelt & Ray
Thinking of Ronnie makes me smile and laugh. What a great guy. I am truly sorry for your loss and pray God's peace and comfort surround you.
Marlene McCurry Kennard
high school friend
I had the pleasure of working for Ron for about 4 years. The knowledge he gave me in the time I worked for him has served me well. He will be sorely missed. Janice our hearts and prayers go out to you and Preston may God always be with you.
Love
Cory Garrett
I haven't seen Ronnie for many years, but I've thought about many times after my my life in South Texas. Most of my memories from that time of my life - high school in Premont and college in San Marcos - involve Ronnie and the Bowen family. I attended Southwest Texas State because that where Ronnie, Robert, John, and Lisa were going. Some of my best times were spent with Ronnie at the River House in Gruene, dancing at the KC Hall, or Bigger'n Dallas in San Marcos. Hunting at the Kibbe Ranch. We shared the same birthday. One of the last times I saw Ronnie was at his wedding in Rivera, where I introduced him to the girl I was dating. He pulled me aside and told me she was a keeper. I married that girl a year later. Fran and I have been married now for 15 years. We have 3 beautiful children and a great life in Atlanta, GA. I will miss Ronnie. I will miss the smile that swept across his whole face that came from his huge heart. Time goes by so quickly.
Brent Walker
I WOULDN'T EVEN NO HOW TO START BUT FIRST OF ALL MY SYMPATHY GOES OUT TO MR.BOWEN'S FAMILY MEMBER'S AND LOVED ONES .I JUST READ THE OBIT'S EVERY MORNING AT WORK AND WANTED TO SAY THAT THIS ONE HAS BEEN 1 OF THE MOST TOUCHING OBITS I HAVE READ AND CAN TELL MR.BOWEN WAS LOVED VERY VERY MUCH ONCE AGAIN SO SORRY FOR YOU LOST!
I am so sorry for your loss. I never had the priveledge of knowing Ronnie, but I have no doubts he was a fine man and father and will be missed in this life.
Much love and many prayers of comfort and peace from your northern family,
Michael Jordan
My prayers and thoughts to his family and friends. What a shock...
Ronnie always had a smile on his face in high school. I remember Ronnie carrying the Cowboy school spirit wherever he went. His sister Lisa and I had some good times in school.
Ron has blessed many people.
Scot Wilkinson
I worked at Church's Chicken in Kerrville for 4 years. My first day on the job, the manager of the store was gone for training so Ron & Janice were running the shift that day. I remember Ron telling me that I should stay busy at all times. I must have spot swept the lobby a hundred times. That is a day I will never forget.
My thoughts and prayers go out to Janice and Preston. May God comfort you in this time of need. Love ~ Rachel Garrett
I CAN START BY SAYING THAT I GREW UP WITH RONNIE PLAYING BASEBALL WITH HIM IN FALFURRIAS. AFTER EVERY GAME THAT WE WON OUR COACH (OVIDIO AREVALO) WOULD TAKE US TO THE DAIRY QUEEN IN FAL. AND TREAT US TO BURGERS & FRIES. I KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I CAN SAY THAT RONNIE WAS A STAND UP TYPE OF GUY ON OR OFF THE FIELD. REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND. ANDY VILLARREAL, 2529 FLEECE DE., CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78414
Well...all I have to stay is "Valla con Dios" Ronnie and I know your up there with your mom and dad and my brother Jerry and lord knows who else. I have known the whole Bowen clan since Bennett street-Falfurrias, Texas.Yes, that was many-many moons ago, but gosh we made so many memories that will never be forgetton. I saw Ronnie at the Frio recently and it was a wonderful day since I hadn't seen him in years. you will be missed and I will treasure all those fun years when we were growing up on Bennet and Adams street. Rest in Peace friend!
Vicky and all the Garza clan
The kind of man to have as a BEST FRIEND and on your team on earth as well as in heaven.I will miss him deeply. He smiles upon us from above!!!! MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU JANICE AND PRESTON, & FAMILY!!!
I haven't seen Ronnie in many many years. I was honored to have known him. Have numerous memories of him from High School in Premont. He always had a contagious smile on his face. He will be missed terribly. I am truly sorry for yall's loss. Our thoughts and Prayers go out to the family! May God Bless all of you.
Donna (Disbro) Hennig
Ronnie was always teasing me,always grinning and always a special joy to me. I watched him grow into a fine gentle man who loved his family so much. My prayers are with Janice & Preston and the rest of his family
I will miss his hugs.....
Becky
We always had good times in high school and during summer break at the Rio. I enjoyed working on his 55. I will truly miss Ronnie. He was a like brother to me. Janice, our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Ronnie always had a big smile and an even bigger heart. We are so sorry for your loss Janice and Preston. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
Sarah and Steve
Owen and Glen
Still getting over the shock...but Ronnie will always hold such a special place in all of our hearts. Everybody loved Ronnie. He had a way of making life fun and spontaneous. I remember telling Lisa at lunch one day in 8th grade that this guy named Ronnie had asked me to go to homecoming with him and I didn't even know who he was...she said, that's my brother! My dad didn't let me go to the dance, but I did get to know Ronnie very well over the years. He became the older brother, boy-next-door, best- friend kind of guy that always brings a smile when you think about him. Although it makes me terribly sad to know that I won't see him again on this side of heaven, at least his memories will always make me smile. The Bowen family is in my prayers.
Love you all,
Tina Weston Cole
Orange Grove, Texas
Please accept my deepest condolences on Ron's untimely passing. While we cannot comprehend the Lord's workings, I'm sure we'll be forgiven for believing this young man was taken well before his time.
Like many posting here, my memories of Ronnie revolve around Premont: within the halls of Premont High School, through his family's association with the DQ, and on those tough concrete tennis courts, where he schooled me many a time. I can honestly say I rarely saw Ronnie without a smile on his face, and never heard anyone say a cross word about him. He was truly a vibrant soul.
As I've read through the memorial and postings and noted those whom he touched, old names I haven't seen in years have struck me: John and Skeeter Schneider, John Trask, Marlene McCurry... That Ronnie has called these people together even now is a testament to his grace--it is a true measure of a man that he can create and keep close friends, close enough that they will help lay him to rest.
My thoughts and prayers are with Ron's family, friends, and associates. My wish is that all may recall him for the man he was.
Rest in peace.
David Munoz
Austin, Texas
I have not seen Ronnie in many years. However, I keep thinking of my childhood summers in Falfurrias where I would spend time at the DQ and visit the Bowen home. These summers will always hold a special place in my heart. Ronnie's big smile and big heart will be missed! His passing weighs heavy on my heart and I will keep the family in my prayers.
Darlene (Merka) Matula
A Warmth Embrace
His smile and laughter will be in our minds,
The thought of his love was more then just kind.
He always picked our spirits up when things were going wrong,
Always putting others first, is why God made him strong.
He had this thing about him, which is hard to explain,
Its like he planted the right words in our hearts, which would ease our pain.
He was like a strong root that grew from a seed,
Bloomed like a rose to please those whom in need.
His heart was as big as his love for the world,
He was a good man with great family morals.
He always knew what he wanted and how things would be,
For his integrity was eternal, his life was complete.
He may be gone now, but he will always be our friend,
For a friendship like his, has no end.
His love was as strong as the smile on his face,
As his smile gets brighter with GODS LOVING EMBRACE.
Written in memory of Ronnie Bowen on January 30th 2007
From his high school friend: (JoJo) Jo Ann Pena
My deepest condolences to his family, he will never be forgotten.
Janice
I'm so sorry for your loss and will be praying for God's ccomfort for you and your family.
JHB
I have wonderful memories of Ron and the Bowen family during my summer visits to my grandmother's in Falfurrias. I didn't see him often once I was older, but when I did see him at family reunions he was no different. He always made you laugh and smile. He was so genuine. I know how loved he was and I know he will be dearly missed. May the Lord wrap His arms around all of you and comfort you during this difficult time. You can be proud of the person he was and all the hearts he touched.
Dianne (Merka) Mazyn
Ron was true friend. He was there when ever I needed him. Words cannot express how I feel for his family, Janice and Preston. I will miss him greatly.
He asked me to go to the ranch with him the weekend that he passed away. I told him I was too busy. A decision I will always regret.
Ron always wore a smile on his face. He knew how to make lemonade out of lemons. He never met a person he didn't like. He always saw the best in everyone. Ron taught me how to live life and enjoy it. Ron was a great friend, father, husband and person.
Ron and I had some great trips and made some great memories. His spirit will be with me forever.
I'll miss him.
Vayo con Dios!!
My first thought upon hearing of Ron passing, was one of disbelief. Truly, I didn't believe it could be true.
Without fail every time I had the occasion to be with Ron, I cherished every moment....even the ones where he ribbed me about changing to become a democrat. And boy, did he know how to "rib"! Ron loved to do anything to "get a rise" out of people.
Beneath this large rugged exterior was a very gentle man.
This man was true, honest, sincere,solid as granite, with a big heart coupled with a big smile and a hearty handshake.
The truth is, we were all lucky to have Ron in our lives to whatever extent it may have been. My regret was I didn't have the opportunity to know him better and share time "at the ranch" or fishing as I hear he loved to do. So much said here is all true. Ron was the kind of man I would have wanted for my daughters, would have been proud to have as my son in law, and if I had a son....I could have done none better, than to have this man as my son.
Frankly, I don't have the words to truly express the loss we will all feel by Ron not being with us any longer. I can only offer my heartfelt condolences and my prayers to Janice, Preston and all of his extended family and friends.
We never understand the workings of God. So many times, not understanding these workings, I have felt cheated by watching events unfold in a manner I didn't understand. This is one of those times. What a tremendous loss for everyone in this stretched out community touched by Ron.
We will miss you Ron.......a great deal....
Lee Robles
I just can't believe I won't be seeing Ron around town.
I had the pleasure of meeting Ron when he, and Janice first moved to Kerrville. I was working at the Church's restaurant they had purchased. I worked with them in many capacities and positions for 7 years. I spent a lot of time in the trenches with Ron. Whether it be opening a new restaurant, fixing issues in other stores, pulling an all nighter programing new registers, or meeting an impossible deadline with a HUGE catering order. It was always a blast working side by side with him.
He taught me how to thrive in a fast paced(somewhat crazy and uncontrollable) environment, and keep it light hearted and fun. He was the first person that ever told me if you can't have fun in what your doin, it ain't worth doin.
I got a many of "tail chewins" from Ron, but they always ended with that trade mark Ron SMILE, a sincere handshake, and a don't worry about it Bubba lets just get it fixed. My wife and I worked closely with Ron and Janice, and always felt like part of the family.
I will never forget the first time I went out to eat with Ron. I barley knew him, he reached over with his fork and said hey let me have a taste of that. Such a laid back easy going fun loving guy.
His SMILE and ATTITUDE were infectious. When you were around him you couldn't help but smile and be in a good mood. Truly a shame, he was taken from this life so early.
A Great Christian man to all, a True Friend to many, A Wonderful Husband, The Best of the Best when it comes to Dads.
I'm a better man for having known, and worked with Ron. I have so many Great memories working and spending time with Ron. He got me hooked on talk radio.
He will be missed by all that knew him.
My thoughts and prayers are with you Janice and Preston.
May we all take some comfort and joy in Knowing that hes in Heaven SMILEING down upon us.
Even in this time of sorrow and grief, I can't help but to smile and chuckle when thinking about Ron.
I Truly appreciated knowing him.
WHAT A GUY!!!
I was called and told of Ronnie's untimely death today. I have such fond memories of him and his family. It seems like just yesterday that I had the pleasure of working for his parents at Dairy Queen in Premont. I am truely sorry for your loss and I know that he will be missed dearly.
I have known Ronnie for so many years and have so many memories. We go way back to Premont at the DQ.
I had the the honor of working with him side by side when I came to San Antonio. It was a difficult time in my life when I moved to San Antonio but working with Ronnie made it easier. His positive outlook in life helped me survived the big city of San Antonio and have fun'. And boy did we have fun. Eating out was one of our favorites things to do and yes he would reach out with his fork and "share" my food.
I am going to miss him so much.
Janice and Preston,the spirit of Ronnie will always be with you. May God give you both the strength and courage to continue.
mimi
When my little sister called and told me about Ron, I was in a state of shock. I could not beleive it was true. I worked for Ron and Janice for about 8 years in many capacities, the final one being in the office as their secretary. I spent alot of time with them at work and out of work. I was always the one they called on when they needed someone to keep Preston wether it was just for the day in the office or overnight because they needed to go out of town. Ron always made sure that I was in my vehicle and on my way before he closed the door and turned off the porch light if I was leaving late after watching Preston.
When I went to work with Ron in the stores because they needed an extra hand, he always seemed to know where to find the best little hole in the wall mom and pop restaurants to eat at. And yes, Ron always had to sample what I had ordered. It was just something you got used to if you ate much with Ron.
I owe a lot of thanks to Ron for hiring me to work in the Kerrville restaurant in the beginning. Had he not hired me I may not be married to the love of my life, my best friend, and the father of my children. You see, I married the manager of the Kerrville store at that time (Bubba Garrett).
I quit working for Ron and Janice right before the birth of my first daughter about 6 years ago. I guess one of the last things that sticks in my mind about Ron (after he found out I was pregnant) is the day that Janice came to work and told me that Ron was worried about how much I was eating. He told Janice that every time he came in, I was eating and he was worried about what that would do to me.
We had alot of great times together. There will always be fond memories of the trips to the Church's Chicken Conventions, Etc. I always felt like a part of the family.
Oh by the way, I'm not a big fan of talk radio, which I recently found out that Ron is the one that got my husband hooked on it. Thanks for that Ron.
Janice and Preston you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. You have my number, please call if either one of you need ANYTHING!
Love,
Amanda Garrett
What a beautiful homage to Ronnie's life to have so many from near and far come together to lay him to rest. A testament to how he lived his life is not measured by the tears cried. As Ronnie surely reaches the light of the kingdom of heaven, the tears are shed for we who are left behind. Instead it's measured by the countless smiles he left (and continues to leave) on each of our faces.
I do hurt for having lost Ronnie. I hurt for Preston & Janice and the tough times they have ahead; for the motorcycle rides we'll never take together; for the friends and family that look to the door at a party expecting him to walk in at any moment; and I hurt for my brother who lost a brother.
_Ron Lozano_
i didn't know ron but i knew his dad as i went to school with him and we were great friends and i thought he was a wonderful person as i am sure ron is also. Hungry as we called him in school and i never knew why he had this nickname. i am sorry to hear about ron. janene land davis
I worked in the Dairy Queen Office in Premont for about five years and was able to see Ronnie almost every day. What I remember most about him is the smile - I can't remember a time when it was missing from his handsome face. His BMW would "zoom" into the parking lot in the mornings and he would come into the office with that smile and a cheerful greeting. He had it all: personality, intelligence, looks, patience, understanding, and a remarkable maturity for his age. I hadn't seen Ronnie since I moved back to North Dakota but, through friends, I knew a little about his life and that he and Janice had a son. He was such a nice, kind, and gentlemanly young man. I am so sad for the entire family, especially Janice and Preston. I hope the priceless memories and love for Ronnie will help all of them through this very sad time.
I had the pleasure of knowing Mr Bowen, and just wanted to say there isn't too many people that can change your out look on life with a single hand shake and smile but Ron was one who made you feel like everything would work out. A great man was lost and will be missed.
Henry from Hondo Church's did not write his name . He posted on what a great man he was.
Post a Comment